Strengthening media saving livesAug 26, 2013
CDMP II extended its support to the Press Institution of Bangladesh (PIB) in strengthening the role of media for better complementing DRR and CCA issues including building community resilience, awareness and preparedness for emergency response. As part of the joint initiative, a consultation workshop was organized on Monday, August 26, 2013 at PIB Seminar Room to develop a training manual on DRR & CCA issues for Journalist.
The workshop was chaired by Mr. Md. Shah Alamgir, DG, PIB and participated by a large number of mid to senior journalists from major national dailies, satellite TV channels, Bangladesh Shangbad Shongstha, and academician from University of Dhaka. Relevant professionals of CDMP and PIB were also present at the workshop.
In his initial address Mr. Md. Shah Alamgir welcomed all the participants and thanked them for their presence. He briefly stated the workshop objectives and the agendas. Mr. Abdul Latif Khan, DRM specialist of CDMP II provides a brief background on the initiatives of CDMP II in regard to role of media in comprehensive disaster management. The workshop concluded achieving a large number of insights on development of the journalist training manual as well identifying barriers in DRR and CCA reporting. The insights are as follows:
- Need assessment should be done to identify the need gap
- The reporting must be people and need oriented rather than donor driven
- Language of the manual must be simple and user friendly
- Blogger community/online activities should be considered
- The manual should contain information on all hazards (definition, impact, future scenario)
- Updated and practical information on climate change issues must be included
- Local level journalists should get preference for training since they are newsmakers
- Report on slow on-set events must be given importance
- The indigenous practice of disaster management should be reported
- Should develop disaster information database and made easy access for all
- The disaster expert should include in development of the manual
- Training for the policy level decision maker/news manager of media house must be organized to change their perception on disaster reporting
- Advocacy to increase frequency and volume of disaster reporting, and
- More such workshop need to be organized with other media professionals, local level media worker.
Mr. Md. Shah Alamgir informed the participants that another consultation workshop will be held with local level journalists to engage them in the process of the strengthening media in September 2013.