Making schools safe from disasters
Sep 30, 2013
On Monday, September 30, 2013 Comprehensive Disaster Management Programme (CDMP II) and Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education (DSHE) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) towards “Making Schools Safe from Disasters”.
Under the MoU, DSHE will:
1. Update the existing training material of TTC/HSTTI/General collage/School including BED/MED curriculum.
2. Develop 300 Master Trainers from TTC/HSTTI/General collage/School to train 4,650 School Teachers.
3. One (01) day orientation for 650 Field Level Educational Officers.
4. Develop teaching/training material for comprehensive school safety and evacuation for the master trainer of TTC/HSTTI/General collage/School to teach the trainees.
5. Enhance earthquake awareness and preparedness in 2,600 schools and madrasas.
6. Work closely with Education Engineering Department (EED) for hazard and context friendly safe school structural design and develop a national guideline on school design and maintenance.
Mr. Mohammad Abdul Qayyum, National Project Director, CDMP II on behalf of CDMP II and Prof. Fahima Khatun, Director General, DSHE, on behalf of DSHE signed the MoU in presence of other MoDMR, MoEdu, CDMP and DSHE high officials. Mr.Mesbahul Alam, Secretary MoDMR and Dr. Kamal Abdul Naser Chowdhury, Secretary, MoEdu graceD the event as Special Guests. Mr.Simon Taylor, Humanitarian Affairs Adviser, UNRC; Ms.Ciara Rivera Vazquez, Education Specialist, UNICEF and Mr. Sifayet Ullah, UNDP were also present at the ceremony.
Prof. Fahima Khatun in her speech explained the role of the partnership and how this will help building a disaster resilient nation.
Mr. Mesbahul Alam addressed the importance of disaster preparedness. He said that MoEdu and CDMP II already has a long working partnership, which facilitated the incorporation of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) issues into text books for Class III-XII.
The MoU signing ceremony was facilitated by Abdul Latif Khan, Disaster Response Management Specialist CDMP II.